Friday, July 13, 2007

India - Mission #1: Getting There

Well, my "wacky adventures in India" actually begins in Canada . So here's the scenario.. my flight leaves at 7.. boarding is at 6:15.. so I have to check in by like 5:30, which means I have to be there at around 4:30... We were supposed to have a car and my dad's friends Pickup truck to get there (we had 4 HUUUUGE suitcases, a guitar and 2 backpacks)..but my dad's friend couldnt make it and he told us the last minute!... So at 4:30, we only had one car and about 15 minutes to get there... My dad pulled a mission! He made two trips, got 2 suitcases and us 3 in one trip.. We got off and took a cart and went to the check-in counter... The Air France check in counter looked surprisingly small.. So we were standing there, chillin' when we realized that it wasnt the check-in counter but something else!.. so we scrambled around looking for the check-in counter, finally found one, asked if we can take the guitar, they said they will have to ask the supervisor, but we stood in the line... Meanwhile, I took the cart back to the parking lot, where my Dad would've made the second trip... (btw, we didnt have any toonies for he cart, so we had to pull a mission with a loonie!) so I get there, my dad comes, we come back.. my mom and sister have moved up in the line significantly.. I asked the french check-in lady if I can move ahead.. she was one of them Ezhari types (Ahahaha... funny how horrors from french class always comes back to bite you in the 'derriere') She said, "ok once, but people might object".. then she changed her mind and said in that copyrighted Ezhari tone: "Im sorry, you cant"... I was like 'WTF is Ezhari doing here' (I didnt really say that, i was thinking it).. anyway, but I aint taking no lip from no french lady! Ahahaha... I asked my mommy for help.. she asked the passengers if they had any objection, they said they didnt, so I moved up... Then some Asian lady came! AHahaha.. they're everywhere.. but this one spoke french! she took our cart and moved it to the counter, I dont know why.. we could've done that ourselves...
We asked the lady if we can take in the guitar.. she said thats upto the air-hostess.. she may let it, if she doesnt, we will check it in with the baggage... I didnt wanna take any risks with my baby, so i decided to let it go (If you love something you let it go... Ahahaha I just wanna add some romance and tragedy to my story) But i had packed my guitar bag with like clothes and stuff, so at the spot, we pulled them all out and stuffed them in the backpack. Now, after weighing the huge suitcases, one of them was a kilogram extra and they only allowed 23 kgs.. so we opened the bag, and took out random stuff... And i mean random (this is like on of them cartoon's where you pull out everything but the kitchen sink!) like cutting boards, chocolates, a blender, etc. and finally, the weight worked out and everything was in this backpack that we took just in case somethign like this happens.. Finally after the check-in.. we go into the security check.. they didnt DO ANYTHING!!! we walked through the metal detector and thats it.. they didnt even check us individually, they just let us go.. Its funny.. two days ago, i went to a movie theatre and they checked us like no tomorrow.. we walked through a metal detector and they had guys feeling people up as well.. I felt soo violated.. but standard procedure, they said, so there are no terrorist attacks IN THE FREAKING MOVIE THEATRE.. but thats a story for another day... there is still a lot to be said about getting there first.. so, no security check .. and they let us through.. after this, it was smooth sailing till paris.. Except...
Well, it was like 7:15 when the flight departed, they gave us dinner at like 9, then at like 1am, it was morning and they gave us BREAKFAST! then we arrived at paris, at around 2 am canadian time... I was really excited.. I had 5 Euros in my pocket and I was ready to paint the town (rather.. airport) red with it! my sister bought a pizza and I ate a chicken sandwich (it was horrible.. but i dont throw away food... 'If it's edible, YOU eat it"...that's my motto!) even at France, they did NO security check, the guy just motioned us to go! I was getting paranoid at this point, but other than that, I was really excited.. I had to show off my French skills and try to chop some French Gs... but I was dissapointed, as there were none! I saw like one.. but I dunno.. maybe it was a dude...nonetheless, i started saying stuff in french like "Ce aerogare est incroyable" and such... or, if i dont know how to say it in french, I would say it in English with a french accent, like "Zhere it is..." and such.. it was quite hilarious.. cuz the frenchies didnt know what hit em.. i would say bonjour, they start rambling something in French... then I would be like.. "Je ne parle pas francais.. seulement, 'bonjour' et ce phrase que je parle maitenant".. something along those lines...

Ahahaha.. in the three hours that I was in the french airport, they didnt know what hit em... it was excellent... so I get on the plane, I believe this was like 5 am Toronto time... and about 2 or 3 hours later, they give us LUNCH! being the pig that I am, i gladly took it and ate it.. I even ate some of my sister's... then it was quite chillin for a while.. but i started having stomach problems... i was sure it was nothing more than air sickness or something (I mean, what else could it be?!) LOL... i was ok though, the ache came and went.. it was chillin' still.. The entire time, I listened to James Blunt, ahahahaha... I felt nostalgic and some slight melancholy as well... after a while.. I dunno, if it was lunch or dinner, or breakfast, or whatever, but they brought food again... you know me.. I never say no to food.. i took it and ate a little of everything.. then I was chillin' still.. so w/e I finally arrive in India.. i was quite excited... I was dieing to hear some Kannada...but NOOOO... i heard Italian, French, English, Hindi, two other languages, but no Kananda.. i was like WTF.. where am I.. anyway the baggage claim took a while, then some random porters started helping us. I said NO i dont want help, but they wouldnt listen, WTF!!! the good old days were coming back.. it really is survival of the fittest..if you have money, or they think you have money, they come at you like me on free food! anyway.. then they started asking for money.. all they did was pull the freaking cart for literally 30 metres... damn.. w/e my uncle gave them like 10 rupees and they were good to go.. after that.. i came home at like 3 am Indian time and that concludes the first of many more to come missions/adventures/crazy experiences/ whatever you like to call it...But I'm looking forward to whatever wacky adventures and missions that are yet to come!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Cheeku.. Great entry! You THINK the biggest challenge of going to India is "getting there", but wait till you get there.. Things seem soo funny and exciting that I can't wait to read your other posts about your visit! keep blogging!

Anonymous said...

What happens next???